Sunday, November 17, 2013

Norah is here-Birth Story!

I cannot believe that my baby girl is a 1 week old! Time is already flying by. This sweet little girl has stollen our hearts!

Here is her birth story.

On Saturday November 9th I woke up around 8am. I got up and quickly noticed that something didn't feel normal. We were actually staying at Ethan's parents house because there was a family event happening there that morning. I went to the bathroom and was pretty sure that my water had broken. I got Ethan and we decided that I would call my doctor. With Norah being our first I wasn't really sure if my water had actually broken or not. I wasn't having any contractions. Plus I was 37 weeks and 1 day and I didn't think Norah would be early. I had been telling myself she was gonna be late so I wouldn't get my hopes up about an early arrival. After talking to my doctor and doing my hair and make up :) we headed to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital around 11:00am. They checked and told me that my water hadn't broken and that I wasn't dilated. They let me walk around for a while and then they checked again and still the test said that my water had not broken. This was totally discouraging. Leaving the hospital was like taking the walk of shame. 

Ethan and I were starving at this point so we went and got lunch. After lunch I started feeling like I was cramping on and off. I thought it was because they had checked me and didn't think much of it. We made it home and decided to just lay low and rest. The cramping continued throughout the afternoon and little by little began to bother me more. Around 7:30 we headed to the mall to walk around and get out of the house. At this point I was pretty uncomfortable but I wasn't sure if these cramps were contractions or not. I called my cousin who is a NICU nurse and she encouraged me to start timing the cramps because she thought they sounded like contractions. So I proceeded to time them for the next hour and a half. They were coming pretty strong and I had to stop and breath through them. They were coming every 4/5 mins and lasting for about 30 seconds. I decided to call my doctor again and after talking with him we decided that I should go ahead and head back to the hospital to be checked.

So Ethan and I made our way back to the hospital. The contractions were strong and I told Ethan that if this wasn't the real thing I would never survive actual labor :) We arrived at the hospital around 11:30pm and when the nurse checked she told us that my water had broken and I was almost 2 centimeters dilated. Ahh!! I'm pretty sure that my water was broken all along and that for whatever reason it just didn't show up when they tested me earlier that day. I am actually really thankful that they sent us home because this gave me the chance to spend those early laboring hours at home and not in a hospital bed. 

At 3:30am I had progressed to 5 centimeters and was able to get my epidural. At this point my contractions were coming every 2 mins and lasting for about a minute so there was no resting in between. I was so ready for the epidural. Labor is no joke. Once my epidural kicked in I was able to rest. Not sleep. There is no way that sleep can really happen in a hospital.

Around 7:30am I began to feel pressure so I asked my nurse to check me. When she did I was complete and ready to push! I had no idea that this moment would bring so much emotion. I was in tears. I was gonna meet my baby girl. My sweet nurse began to get everything in place and around 8:00am I began pushing. Honestly the hardest thing I have ever done. They told me I was a great pusher. However, they probably tell every women that. Ethan stood right by my side and was a fabulous coach. Could not have done it without his encouragement. He was my biggest fan and just what I needed in those moments.

At 8:59am on November 10th we welcomed Norah Rose into the world! I remember my doctor telling me to look after I had finished a seriously hard push and there she was! 

My doctor quickly handed her to me and tears filled both mine and Ethan's eyes. It was the sweetest moment I have ever experienced. We were in love from that second on! It is amazing how much love you can have for this tiny little life. So precious! 

Norah weighed in at 5lbs 9oz and 18 3/4 inches long. Our tiny little peanut. Before they put her on the scale I guessed 7lbs 1oz. I was way off. I still can't believe how tiny she is!

I am so thankful that I had such a smooth labor and delivery. I could not have asked it to go any better. I am very blessed.

Norah is healthy and strong. Even though she was a little early. She didn't have any problems. She was just ready to make her arrival and I am so glad that she did. Our lives are forever changed and they have changed for the good. Norah has our hearts and being her mommy is the most rewarding thing I have ever done!

We are madly in love! 



Welcome to the world Norah Rose! You have our hearts sweet girl!


2 comments:

bamathews2 said...

Great story! So glad you wrote it down :)

Megaloo said...

Love that I was included in her birth story!! Welcome to the world Miss Norah!