Thursday, November 4, 2010

Couch to 5k


I always said I would never become a runner. I secretly wanted to be able to run for miles at a time, but thought I would never be able to do it. I'm not really the athletic type. Therefore, I never even tried. My sister-in-law began to inspire me to run. She recently ran a 5k in Disney World along with my Mother-in-law. Then my cousin Katherine ran a half-marathon in Nashville, TN. Now, my oldest sister is training for a 6k. The last straw was when Ethan called me to tell me that he was going to run a 5k in Disney in February. That was it. I knew I had to began training because I knew that there was no way I was going to let him do it with out me :)



I had heard about this iPhone app called Couch to 5k. It takes you from nothing(couch) to running a 5k which is 3.1 miles. I started it 5 weeks ago. After the first week I had 2 friends join in with me and boy am I glad that they did. I don't think I would have kept up with it without them. We run/train 3 times a week. Each week it takes us to a new level and to be honest it has not been easy, but knowing that I am running a 5k keeps me going! I am excited about running the 5k in Disney this February and I am hoping that my running buddies are going to do it with me!



I am far from being a "real" runner, but I am proud of myself for doing something I used to say I couldn't do. I love running. I enjoy it! My plan is to run the 5k and then begin training for a 10k.



You can learn more about Couch to 5k at: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml




This is a picture of part of the trail that we run on!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

way to go Anna!

Shannon said...

Ahhh you are amazing!!

SGB said...

So proud of you for sticking with it. If I tried it I think everything would fall out of me!haha

Megaloo said...

u have inspired me :)